Makes a delicious lunch or snack. You can play around with the ingredients to your hearts content!
Try different cheeses, different veg and different meats to keep baby interested 🙂
Makes 12 pinwheels and costs around 25p per pinwheel!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
320g rolled puff pastry chopped tomatoes
20-30g grated cheddar
3-4 slices of ham or thin chicken
1/2 white onion
1 small carrot
4 large mushrooms
Tbsp tomato purée
1. Finely chop the onion, mushroom and broccoli. Peel the carrot and grate strips off the carrot.
2. Add onions to a pan with oil and cook over a medium-high heat for 2 mins. Stir regularly.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan, cook for a further minute.
4. Add the broccoli and the strips of carrot to the pan and cook for a further minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and tsp pepper and stir.
6. Reduce heat to low-medium and add the tbsp of puree. Cook for 2 minutes.
7. Roll out the puff pastry to 3mm thickness into a rectangle. (I like to buy pre-rolled just too puffy pastry!)
8. Spread the sauce onto the puff pastry leaving about an inch gap around the sides.
9. Sprinkle on the cheddar and rip and sprinkle on the meat if using.
10. Roll the pastry as tightly as possible from the short end- this takes practice! Don’t worry if they don’t come out perfect they will still taste delicious!- and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
12. With a very sharp knife cut the roll into 12 pieces and lie on the baking tray.
13. Beat the egg and brush over the pinwheels, then sprinkle over some oregano.
14. Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and puffy!